2009-07-25

Why Does Love Always Feel Like A Battlefield

This week the song "Battlefield" by Jordin Sparks was on So You Think You Can Dance, and I was struck by the lyrics. The singer asks, "Why does love always feel like a battlefield?" The answer: because you're doing it wrong.

Romantic relationships prompt conflict. Loving someone means letting them have their way, even when your way is better. Then you can take it to the next level: each partner competes to put the other first. As a result each person's needs are met.

People not in a relationship call this "being whipped."

5 comments:

  1. You watch So You Think You Can Dance???? Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watch? That show is participatory!

    ReplyDelete
  3. -People not in a relationship call this "being whipped."-

    I can't help but laugh a little when people at work complain about their spouses and significant others or go out to the bars after work without telling their spouses, then call me whipped for checking with my wife about things. Two plus two clearly does not equal four.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I especially liked the "fighting surrender hug" in the dance you referred to. The performance was one of my favorites of the season (along with the Wade Robson 'caper' of Janette & Brandon -- I so wanted him to win). Also, it was danced by such gorgeous partners!

    ReplyDelete