2009-08-19

Perfect Creature

Tonight I watched the movie Perfect Creature. It takes place in an alternate universe where vampires, sheltered by the Catholic Church, survive by drinking donated blood. It's a steampunk movie that takes place in New Zealand. It's actually pretty good.

Conflict occurs when one vampire goes insane and starts murdering humans. His brother (another vampire) and a beautiful policewoman must track him down. Various plot twists and some violence ensue. The R rating is due to the frequent bloody wounds; other than that it's no more violent than prime time TV, and it was not as scary as I feared at first. (I'm not a fan of scary movies.)

I feel a little short changed by the 88 minute run time of the film. I would have liked to see more exploration of the philosophical aspects of an apparently immortal superhuman trying his best to do God's work in service to an unappreciative humanity. Perhaps what I really want is to encounter this movie in the form of a book.

1 comment:

  1. Last night I caught the last hour of the Schwarzenegger flick, "End of Days." It was pretty confusing, but apparently Satan was trying to marry a girl, but Arnold didn't want him to. Apparently God was powerless to stop Satan, but Arnold and his guns weren't. I didn't follow very closely... I was flipping back and forth between that and Conan.

    ReplyDelete