2009-08-08

The Watchmen

I just watched the movie The Watchmen for the second time in 24 hours. My first reaction was that this might be the best movie I've ever seen. After the second viewing that hasn't changed. It's certainly the best super hero movie I've ever seen.

Of course it contains many family-unfriendly elements. It focuses on some of the most unsightly aspects of human nature. A major theme is the evil inherent in humanity; not even the protagonists are good role models. But they do some of the same things that I would do, or would be inclined to do, if I were in their place. I found myself identifying with multiple characters. (I only wear glasses to disguise my true identity.)

The action and the plot are excellent, and only the comic book aspects require suspension of disbelief. It amazes me that someone's created a realistic super hero movie.

3 comments:

  1. I wish they would have kept the giant squid from the original graphic novel. That change doesn't make it a bad movie though.

    Mystery Men was also a pretty good relistic super hero movie, though in a different way. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have yet to see Watchmen, mainly because I was disuaded by the reports of unnecessary levels of violence and the explicit family-unfriendly elements. I'm sure I'll see it at some point and enjoy it.

    Mystery Men is one of those movies that it's easy to forget how much I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The problem with Mystery Men is that it tried to tack on a plot. A much better wacky-super-hero comedy is The Specials.

    ReplyDelete